Nanning is the big and modern city in Southern China.
A lot of travelers in northern Vietnam are crossing the borders on the north to China. If you are already in Vietnam it is the good idea to see also China. One of the biggest stops in southern China is Nanning City. Nanning is not so far from Hanoi, it is only about 450 km. It is a big and modern city with about 8 million inhabitants. It is the capital of the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region. The quickest way how to get to Nanning from Hanoi is to by a flight. But for some travelers it could be very expensive, so there is also another option – by a train. When you will be travelling by train to Nanning, you cross the border in Dong Dang town in Lang Son.
1. TRAINS from Hanoi to Nanning
– interesting experience is train ride in Vietnam and China (you will see beautiful landscapes)
– a cheap option how to get from Hanoi to Nanning
– this route is operated by Nanning Railway Bureau of China Railway
– train – China Railway MR1/T8702 (comfortable, Soft Bed)
– the journey takes around 12 hours from Hanoi
– there is 1 train every day in 21:20 of China Railway MR1/T8702 from Hanoi to Nanning
– one-way ticket costs about 1 000 000 viet.dongs (49 USD)
– train station in Hanoi – Gia Lam Railway Station (481 Ngọc Lâm)
– train station in Nanning – Nanning Railway Station (63 Zhonghua Rd)
buy train e-tickets on Baolau or 12go.asia, secured online payment is without any problem from everywhere
This train goes from Hanoi – Gia Lam Railway Station and continue to Dong Dang. Dong Dang is a Vietnamese border in Lang Son province. You need to stock yourself before taking train as there is no restaurant there. In your whole trip you’ll stay on the same train and even on the same room from beginning to end of the trip. While travelling by train you’ll be able to get a view of Vietnamese border. Dong Dang border be the place where you need to show your passport and get them stamped.
Then the train departs from Dong Dang at 02:50 AM in Vietnam and arrives at 04:31 AM to Pingxiang in China. In Pingxiang, passengers must get off the train again and complete immigration entry procedures at Chinese border. After this procedure train continue to Nanning. Read also very carefully this article – How to get a chinese Visa in Hanoi. In the near future there is also a plan to build a new High-Speed Line from Nanning to Pingxiang.
For bookings with the international railway service Hanoi-Nanning-Beijing, you will be required to complete the payment before submitting your order. Your reservation will be processed and you will receive a voucher by email to collect the physical ticket at the station before boarding the train.
2. FLIGHTS from Hanoi to Nanning
– the quickest option how to get from Hanoi to Nanning
– there is a direct flight from Hanoi to Nanning by China Eastern
– China Eastern or China Southern can have also 1 flight stop
– flight time is only about 1 hour from Hanoi (or 6-7 hours with 1 flight stop)
– the direct flight costs about 150 USD
What is Baolau?
– a company specializing in train tickets mainly for Vietnam (+Cambodia and Laos)
– verified company from Singapore – no cheaters
– you can buy also a bus tickets (Mai Linh, Hoang Long…)
– flights of Vietnamese Airlines as well as flights to neighboring countries
– the price of tickets depends on the official price of transport company
– you will see the final price before you make a payment transaction
– acceptable online train e-ticket in your mobile phone in Vietnam (I recommend to print a ticket)
– read any other information about ticket before you order
What is 12go.asia?
– a specialist for train tickets mainly in Thailand (also tickets for Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos)
– you can use an online e-ticket in your mobile phone in Vietnam
– you can not use an online ticket in Thailand, you have to print it
– if you order an train ticket for tourist trains in Vietnam (Orient Express, Sapaly, Chapa …), you must pick it up at the station
– information about 12go.asia read in article about transportation in Vietnam